#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Monday, December 9, 2013

Lee Bird *is* CheersFest - Let the Roasting Begin :)


Aloha,

Hosted again by Mark Koopmans, Morgan Shamy, David Powers King, Stephen Tremp and The Ninja Captain himself, it’s time for CheersFest 2.0 :)



This year’s recipient is Arlee “Lee” Bird.

In order to proper cheer (or roast) Lee, we suggested four questions to answer today, and all should be no longer than 20 words each:

“Let’s DO this!” (he said, in a deep Austrian voice)

·         Why did Lee come up with the A-Z Challenge?

I think Lee knew that five existing blogs wasn’t enough, and hey, this one should be easy to do.

·         If someone dreams about being a juggler, what does it mean?

It means earning enough money so Lee can buy a sexy ‘70s suede jacket (see below :)

·         Is a post by Mr. Bird worth two in the bush?

Any post by Lee is always worth reading (aaahhhh:), so I’ll go search for the ones in the bush, too… unless I find there’s bugs… or the missing DVD of A-CAV playing some Rush riffs on his Gibson!

·         Who could play Lee in a documentary? (Living or dead.)

Looking at this picture, I would go with Peter Falk (Columbo) or a young Kirk Douglas, who starred in the 1953 movie, The Juggler.



 
In +/- 100 words, (excluding the title) write flash fiction using all these prompts:

·         Bird

·         Juggler

·         Challenge

·         Brown Jacket

·         Tossing
###

The Interview and the Inventory

The Juggler entered the cluttered office and shook hands with the editor.

“Mr. Bird. Too early to call you Arlee?” said his prospective boss, who leaned back in his chair, with an appearance that gave unshaven and unkempt a bad name.

“I prefer Lee, if that’s OK,” he said, removing his beloved brown suede jacket. He laid it gently over a chair and used his suede travel brush to comb out six stray hairs.

“Leigh? Isn’t that a girl’s name, son? I know a writer called Leigh… or is it Abby? I can never tell.”

“L-E-E.”

“You a fan of Lee Majors, son? I loved me that Six Million Dollar Man. It was so realistic.”

Lee realized this was a challenge.

“Mr. Cavanaugh, why is there a wooden picture of a ninja guitar player on your desk?”

“Son, you got insecurities? You need to be tossing them out if you’re working for the Idaho Hoe Reporter.”

Lee made some chirping noises and pulled a darkened cell phone from his pocket.

“Sorry, Mr. Cavanaugh, but I’ll have to pass. There’s a dragon friend of mine who’s taking some time off, and we're going to go roast some of those really small marshmallows in Lucky Charms. I know farming equipment is important, so thanks, and I’m sorry I won’t have the chance to inventory your town’s hoes.”

###

For Bonus Points:

·         In +/- 40 words, can you come up with a caption for Lee’s Facebook picture?
 

 
 
“Kids, don’t try this at home! It takes years of practice and a Tom Selleck moustache to be able to wear a sweet suede jacket such as mine.”






###

Thanks to everyone who participated and Lee is scheduled to announce the two prize winners next Monday.
PS: Thanks to everyone who tweeted, texted or talled, er, called me Sunday as I ran/walked/zombied my way through the Honolulu Marathon.
I finished - PTL - and will post some pics once I get them:)

###

For more information about Lee, talk to Blogman :)
Blogman is here :)

 

32 comments:

Ella said...

Lucky Charms! I mentioned them, too! lol I love your Flash Fiction-very clever~

Yes, I love the Tom Selleck reference-I see the resemblance! We all know how much Tom loves Hawaii~
Lee looks good in Hawaiian wear! A well roasted Bird~

Congrats on your marathon! I am proud of you~

Ella said...

***Thank you for co-hosting! You need a new nickname~ I like KoolKoop-has a ring to it!

Jeremy [Retro] said...

What a great read... Lee is a cool man, a BLOG-Man!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your flash fiction was hilarious! Lee got all serious there.
Thanks for finding my DVD. Lost that a while back...
Excellent responses! Lee will be hard pressed to pick winners this year.

Trisha said...

Idaho Hoe Reporter - oh gawsh, that would be a fun place to work! haha

Happy Roasting day to Lee!

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

This was a fun post. Great entry!

Anonymous said...

lol - Enjoyable post as usual. Peter Falk, yes, you could be onto something there! Cheers to you for finishing the marathon!

Bish Denham said...

Too funny! Inventory the hoes, indeed... And Peter Falk would just be perfect, seeming to bumble when he's really got it all together.

Stephen Tremp said...

Great caption! Hahaha. As an adult, I won't try it at home.

And I can see Colombo playing Lee. Good choice.

Bevimus said...

I also love the Tom Selleck reference- moustache of doom!

And your story was great- Lee and Alex in perfect form!

thanks for hosting!

Morgan said...

AH-hahahahaha!!!! Mark, totally laughing at your FF... seriously LOVED it. You are too funny. All the little details were great. Everything else was spot on funny too.

I hope Lee is enjoying his day.

And holy marathon, Mark. SO proud of you! Really amazing job. I hope you do a post on it so we can live through the experience with you. I've done a half before, but NEVER a full... wow.

Arlee Bird said...

Thanks for hosting this!

Funny story. Strange and funny.

I was puzzled when "brown jacket" was given as one of the story prompts, but I'm seeing that my burgundy color tuxedo jacket in the photo somehow got translated into a brown suede jacket. Funny! A relic of the 70's for sure.

Some great entries today.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

D.G. Hudson said...

Like the caption and the fiction, but especially the Blogman! Avatars and icons work well, after all, Alex has mini-Alex.

(it does look like the great Tom Selleck's mustache and that's a good thing - I notice he lost the mustache along the way. . .)

Empty Nest Insider said...

This was so much fun Mark! Love the Peter Falk photo, the flash fiction piece and the clever caption! Thanks for hosting CheersFest! Oh, and congrats for finishing the marathon!

Julie

Johanna Garth said...

Holy cow, there is a startling resemblance between Lee and Peter Falk!

Al Diaz said...

I laughed so much when I read the interviewer was Alex. Mostly after that description. Too funny!
I'll have to look into a Cheers expert. I'm not that familiar with it. Have anything from Friends? hahahahaha.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I don't trust Blog Man's smile. All I have to stay to that flash fiction is WTF! It was funny but seriously, insecurities don't even start that story. Hilarious as always Mark. And maybe a little crazy. Congrats on surviving the marathon.

Carrie-Anne said...

I loved your flash fiction. Thanks for co-hosting.

Kimberly said...

OMGosh, this is so great! Roasting Lucky Charms marshmellows - very clever. :)

Huntress said...

I'd back out of that office tout sweet.

Congrats to Arlee aka Lee for the *honor* of Roastee.

klahanie said...

Mazza dude!

What's going on? What's happening with your BLOG, MAN? Speak to me!

So you is like roasting the Bird n'stuffing. I'm giddy with the thrill of it all.

One moment, please....Arggghhhh!!! that alphabet challenge, I'm begging, pleading with Lee, to make it STOP. Phew, that's better. Where was I?

Lee can have one of my 70's suede jackets. I know, what the Falk am I talking about....

What a magically delicious roasted marshmallow. Geddit?

Well done, Mark. And Lee, how much more can your E G O, take?

That's it and will the real Arlee please stand up....

Gary :)

Anonymous said...

I see the young Kirk Douglas. That's Lee.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Congrats on finishing the marathon. Lee is a great guy and Selleck does have the best mustache of all.

SpacerGuy said...

Lees the Blogman, love it! I enjoyed your fun post Mark, Its Arlee's day for sure.

Nicole said...

Peter Falk! Haha, love it!

Tina said...

A-CAV - good one.
Your flash fiction - award winning, but I'm not sure hosts should win...just sayin' since I'm not a host for this thing. (Although MJ and I do have something else "cooking" for a monthly bloghop - stay tuned.)
And last but not least, a GIANT congrats on the marathon! I used to be a long distance runner, and I know what you suffered through. I've never done one myself, but sure wanted, back when I was allowed to run. My longest, uninterrupted run is 8 miles.
Tina @ Life is Good

Michelle Wallace said...

I like the A-Cav thinggie. And I believe yours is M-Koo, is that right?
I can see the Columbo/Kirk Douglas resemblance...
Congrats on the marathon. And thanks for a fun post!
Writer In Transit

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Which is Columbo and which is Lee? I can't decipher. You're loads of fun, Mr. Roarke. Thank you for co-hosting this fest.

xoRobyn

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy Theriault said...

it's official...you are cray cray my scribe!! holy Toledo. loved it!

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations to Lee!
You guys sure know how to host a fun blogfest :-)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious roast post! I can see Columbo or Kirk Douglas pulling it off. Nice touch with the Tom Selleck mustache reference!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;