#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Thursday, November 7, 2019

The 4-letter word

Hola,

Bloody hell. The older I get, the more shit I forget to do - like bring a jacket with me on a rainy day (on the plain,) in Spain!


Or, when I brainfart myself past a written-ishly alarm, as I did yesterday when I "posted" my IWSG post early.

I'd scheduled the post to go live about three weeks ago, even though I'd not written a damn word. See, this lack of wordage would -- in theory -- normally scare the shit outta me and force, if needed, a fine, intelligent-lite briefing of my latest month in the world of writing.

Only I haven't had an Editor chomping down my throat for the copy-of-a-needed-article-before-the-deadline-hits for many a year. And, so I forgot.

As you do.

I only remembered this lack of delivery and loss of flowery language, (common name: "Ooopsadaisy,") while elbow-deep in the innards of my little postbox that could.

A ping from my phone with a side order of smirk announced brightly (for seven wonderous seconds) in Times New Roman 12 (double-spaced) that my latest post had posted.

(OK, I was at work, but I could have been at the mailbox.)

That's when I realized I was as thick as two planks and had posted a headline, but nothing underneath. I mean like not something small and frail and absolutely lacking in substance... Nope. I had a big fat nothing.

(Some readers probably thought I'd posted a regular blog, and after this, I have the established chops to interview for and become a great reporter for The Sun; New York Post or The Daily Mail :)

What truly warms the cockles of my cynical, writing heart is that I've had (so far) four comments from some writerly friends!!

Therefore, I'm taking a moment to appreciate the following folks for giving me a writerly boost when I hadn't a clue.

To these fellow lovers of words, I bow at the waist, and if y'all were standing beside me, I'd punch you in the good shoulder and go all Robert de Niro-y on you by saying, "You... you... you got a gift my friend..."

Sue at Elephant's Child A fantastic example on how to run a truly fun and interesting blog, and one of my favorite writing mentors (even though she didn't know it until now:)

Alex at Alex J. Cavanaugh The myth and the man behind IWSG. What more can I say!

Lee at C. Lee McKenzie A way-back-when writer buddy who stopped by perhaps looking for a few minutes of readability and was left with a moment of clarity on why she hadn't visited for so long :)

Liz at Elizabeth Seckman My lost Twinny. 'Nuff said.


Finally, as it's obviously Christmas in 47 days... here's my post:

Dear Santa,

I promise to do better for the December IWSG, and if I don't, it won't be for the lack of forward-thinking and backward planning that fills my writing days :)

Yours sincerely,

Markie

PS: Santa baby, any chance the Angels can get at least two starting pitchers for the 2020 season? Thanks. (Cookies and Irish whiskey will be available from 23:00 - 06:00.)




10 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Blushing. And honoured.
Good luck with the next post - but did you have to mention the C word. I am firmly in denial (not just a river in Egypt). And would like an answer to the question I posed on your premature posting.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - great you've acknowledged these influential bloggers - and good to know you're around and with us ... just don't get washed away! I definitely need a new 'rain off' clothes ... as I got saturated the other day ...

It's funny coming across a so-called prepared post ... that actually had a ghost taking the content away - just good to see you and happy you're writing away, when you remember ... take care - cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll tell Santa to send you a reminder two days before the next IWSG post! You did give us a chuckle.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Those are some good people. I saw your post but didn't know what to think.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Long lost? You always know where to find me. LOL

Here, I thought it was the most profound post of the day. It was as inspiring as most things I saw at the MoMa.

CWMartin said...

I saw it too, but the aforementioned had it covered and I saw no need to pig-pile at my current memory level.

CWMartin said...

On the other hand, it did live up to that blog title...

Jo said...

Well, I'm offended and upset. I know I didn't say much in my comment, but I did at least comment. You need some of that whisky for Grandma Dragon as well.

Lisa said...

I posted too! But evidently it didn’t work!

Michael Di Gesu said...

LOL... Oh, don't worry about it Mark.... we are ALL GETTING OLDER!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;