#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Of Bikes and Men....

Hola,

And here we go with another wonderful Koopmans adventure!

I work only a 15-minute-drive from my place, which is fantastic, but I don't have a car, which is not so fantastic.

My first solution was/is to use public transportation, which is great as there's a metro/tram straight to my job in 30 minutes, but my nearest stop is a 40-minute walk away, which is totally doable and all the blisters are nearly gone now!

As travel time to work is currently +/- 80 minutes, what else could I try, one mulled the other day.

A bicycle!

I can get a bike. (Now, never mind I honestly haven't ridden a bike for 30+ years, but it's like every life skill, once you try something you haven't done for awhile it all comes back to you - like riding a bike:)

I found a sweet trail-style, 15-speed bike for a really good price, added the lock, puncture-repair kit and a pump.

Stoked, I went home, checked Google Maps and awesome, the trip will be +/- 40 minutes door-to-door. Half the time and a blister-free way of getting some exercise in.



(Now we get to the most traditional Koopmans question of all: What could go wrong?)

On Saturday, being smart, I decided to do a trial run on the work trail, and spent 30 minutes getting everything ready. With a push off from the right foot, off I wobbled down the street. Thankfully the first 100 yards was downhill, so by the time I got to the roundabout, I'd figured out the brakes ("right is for rear") and I was off to the races - and also thoroughly enjoying myself!

Fast forward 6 minutes later...

I was standing up going down a bit of a rough trail, and all was going well, so as I came to a left-hand turn, I sat down and...

BOOM!!

The back tire blew out - and I said a bad word. A couple of times.

Either I have a big fat ass, or I ran over a sharp rock. Hopefully, it's the latter.

After huffing and puffing my way back to the apartment, I'll bring the back tire to a cycle shop and hopefully me and my svelte ass will be back on the bike soon!


8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Ouch.
Good luck. And I am glad that your ass (whatever its size) didn't land on the rock responsible.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Would it be wrong if I said only you...? At least it didn't blow out on your way to work.

CWMartin said...

AJC has it. You should change the blog title to, "Only Me".

Jo said...

Or The Trials and Tribulations of Mork. What bad luck. Mind you I blew a tire on the car a few weeks ago, I bet it cost more than your bike will. Happy trails my friend.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Good luck - it's making the best of things ... I hope that tyre stays fixed once you've tried the scenario once again ... good luck. I cycled round London for a few months once - nearly finished me off! But getting around is a must - I use my little feet now and the occasional bus - all the best - cheers Hilary

Kelly said...

Dear me, poor you, sorry bout your troubles

Elizabeth Seckman said...

There is a third possibility, maybe the tire was old and worn out when you got it. Never a fat ass. I'm sure it's not that.

Powdered Toast Man said...

I never knew the old you but I'm glad I am here for the transformation.

new follower.

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;