#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Wednesday, August 14, 2019

3 Boys in 30 Days: Part 4 - Land & Seascape of Peniche

Hola,

On Monday, I shared how the boys and I ended up in Portugal and the fun we had. In this final part of my mini-series revolving around the adventures of the boys travelling to Europe for the first time together, I want to say cheerio to charming Peniche through some of the pictures I took of this wonderful, hidden (at least to me) area of Portugal.

We had a wonderful time and I hope we get to return there one day in the future.

We found this bay close to our place the first afternoon we got there, but there was so much seaweed...

See the 3 red chairs on the edge of the "cliff?" There's a bar 50 yards away, so some of the regulars relax on what is a unique seating area!

Our place was the open window, upper left. The snack bar was an interesting place, with an unusual (for the boys) smell wafting upwards most nights!

While it was windy, at least it was safe to swim in the ocean.       Oh. Wait...


The Bay of Rock Formations*                (*Possibly not its real name.)



Ok, I made one, too :) So much fun!


Peniche is such a cool place. In places, it's easy to see nothing has changed in hundreds of years.

...And then there's my second rock formation, which was made 3 weeks ago.

Some over-achievers really went all-in to make the coolest formations in the strangest places!

Top of the hill, overlooking the cold Atlantic ocean. I wondered what was he thinking about?

Part of an old fort in the foreground and an old windmill in the background.

At least I think it was an old windmill... in theory, it could also be a large, prototype Dalek?

Signs that the town (it's bigger than a village) still has fishing in its veins...

View from the fort toward the beach where we spent so many cloudy days!


That seaweed from earlier? This is one way the town gets rid of it all - and there's a lot!

I haven't used any special filters here, but what a difference when the sun came out!




One of the boys found this old Pepsi bottle cap... haven't seen this logo for donkey's years!

Sailing home after (I'm sure) another day's hard work...

#1 Son got a hold of my phone and changed some settings - and took this cool picture:)


A boy and his thoughts blend into the wild surroundings...

On our last full day, the sun returned and the low-tide revealed an "island" that we hadn't seen in all the other days on the beach.

Which meant, of course, the "island chain" had to be explored forthwith!

One of the walls of the old fort in the background...


A statue for some, a resting place for others...

When you go to the Peniche Tourist Office - know that you will be in safe hands!


(At least) one old fort gate is still in use and leads to a bridge...

...Same bridge from a different view on top of the fort's walls.

6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Huge thanks for sharing the beauty, the wonder and the fun.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I love quiet beaches. The peacefulness feeds the soul.

CWMartin said...

Prototype Dalek! LOL!

Kelly said...

I live vicariously through your adventures, gretg story

Jo said...

Yes, I liked prototype Dalek, Exterminate, Exterminate. How wonderful to see such lovely beaches with no crowds on them. I loved Portugal.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - I've never been to that part of Portugal and after seeing a few blog posts over the years - it's on my list! So pleased you had a fabulous time with them - cheers Hilary

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;