#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Wednesday, April 1, 2015

There's no A in IWSG, but here I go to Z

Ok,

It's IWSG time. You probably know the drill... Some dude called Alex set this up and it posts every first Wednesday of the month.


Of course, this Wednesday is also the A in the A-Z Challenge, which I'm attempting for the second time in four years... I think I made it to E or something really useless in 2012.

Thus, no stress - and I'm not insecure at all.

Ya, right.


My theme for the A-Z Challenge is the memoir I wrote for opera singer, Donald Braswell.

I'll be sharing about Donald's inspirational journey - and my never-quit philosophy to find a home for REVIVAL - The Donald Braswell Story, (which will be released Nov. 3, 2015.)

"A" is for America's Got Talent.

In 2008, I was a beat reporter for a San Antonio-area newspaper when I first heard of Donald. While watching America's Got Talent (Season 3), a special feature on this local opera singer intrigued me.

Apparently, he'd lost his voice in a hit-and-run accident -- but yet, more than a dozen years later, there he was on the America's Got Talent stage, and he had a chance to sing for the judges in Las Vegas...

Via e-mail, I reached out to Donald again and again (until he got tired of me and agreed to an interview for the newspaper:)

From there, he shared much of his backstory and I knew there and then his story was one I had to write. I was a newspaper reporter.

I could write. Right?

I mean, how hard could writing a book/memoir be?

Ya, right.

###

 Here's to everyone jumping in to participate in the crA-Ziness of the next 25 (mostly) daily posts!


Me, not #amwriting, but working on letter W

Tomorrow: "B" is for "Braswellians."





21 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

Looking forward to reading about your memoir! And I'm right there with you, jumping off that A-Z cliff. Oh, right, that's actually me tripping and bouncing all the way down. On my face. My bad. :P

Elephant's Child said...

I am really looking forward to finding out more. Thank you.

Bob/Sally said...

Interesting story - that's one of those life experiences you just can't make up.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - there's a lady on the Voice here (well she was - just went out in the semi-finals .. she had a major car accident - but has recovered to be able to sing again ... Glad you felt you needed to write Donald's memoir ..

Good to see you A-Zing .. cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's cool, Mark!

Al Diaz said...

Awesome! This theme will rock!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And now his story will be available for all to read thanks to you!
I will be prodding you to make it past E this year. You have to make it to F at the very least.

Kristin Smith said...

What an awesome theme! I love how you harassed him until he finally gave in—now that is persistence. :) Can't wait to read more of this inspiring story.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! looking forward to your A-to-Z contributions! This is my first year to participate as well. Feel free to drop by and leave your thoughts!

Mark Means said...

Sounds like a very unique and interesting theme you have here. Looking forward to seeing more and best of luck with the new book!

Chrys Fey said...

I used to watch America's Got Talent. At least for a few seasons. I think it's neat how you contact Donald and were able to write his memoir.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Nice to know how you stalked, I mean discovered the victim, I mean protagonist of your book. Look forward to hearing more.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Love the new look! It's so mature...and deceiving.

Can't wait to get the book!

David P. King said...

Like Elizabeth said, liking your new threads here.

I have a feeling this memoir is going to sing. :)

Rob Z Tobor said...

Passing from the A to Z. Good Luck and I hope all goes well on the road to Z. Good to see a fair number of comments for the first day.

Lisa said...

LOVE that photo, OMG! I can't wait to read your A to Z Mark! Yippee!
Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ lisabuiecollard.com

Jo said...

That looks bloody dangerous in the picture. I will be interested in your memoir too Mark. How you can do all this and try and settle into your new home staggers me.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the A to Z... I have done it twice but never within the defined period.... am trying for third time is the charm!

I' doing a series on farms! I hope you have a chance to check it out! This is the post for today, letter A http://janiceperson.com/agriculture/a-kansas-farm-mom-accidental-farm-wife/

Ella said...

Love your expressive photo! Fun A and good luck on the challenge~

dolorah said...

Good luck Mark. You'll be great this year b/c your theme is something you are passionate about.

Bevimus said...

Great theme, indeed!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;