#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Monday, April 21, 2014

Best Wishes to Boston... B Strong

Aloha,



When I ran the Honolulu Marathon this past December, I did so to honor the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and the whole race was an amazing experience.

So many people came up and gave me a shaka, a pat on the shoulder or just a few words that inspired me to not give in even though I was running on multiple blisters on both feet.

I knew I could rest once I finished, but four families eventually lost their loved ones and hundreds more were injured, so there was no way I was quitting.

One man even hugged me at the end and said the words on the back of my shirt inspired him to keep going – and I never knew he was behind me.





(If interested, below is the Boston Marathon Tribute Video linked to my Boston Strong badge on my home page since the bombings. Now that the Marathon has once again taken place, I'll remove the main link later today.)
 
 
As the city, and its people, moves forward, I pray that today’s Boston Marathon, with 36,000 runners - the second highest attendance ever - will be a regular old marathon, full of laughter, relief and simple tears of joy at the finish line.

We, the people stand undefeated.

They, the survivors - and the first responders - are the heroes.

Him, the bomber… may he be held responsible by a jury and a judge.

Us... let us all please never forget the victims...


Krystle Campbell (29)



Lingzi Lu (23)



Martin Richard (8)



MIT Police Officer Sean Collier (27)
 

 

 

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I pray today's event is filled with joy.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'll be watching all day. My daughter attends Boston University. It's an emotional time and the memories from last year when we couldn't get in touch with her for over four hours are still fresh in our memories.

Robin said...

Lovely post. How great that you got out there and ran with love!

Kristin Smith said...

Beautiful tribute, Mark. Thank you for helping us remember the victims of that awful day.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Fantastic tribute, Mark! I'm all choked up.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Very nicely done, Mark! Love the back of your shirt and I can see where it would be an inspiration to those participating. Would give you a renewed spirit to continue.

So many senseless tragedies out here today.

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. On many levels.

Unknown said...

Mark, although not as ambitious as you, I did run a half-marathon once, (yeah... once) and still get out for jogs several times a week. So maybe, like you, this tragic story especially touches my heart. I watched a couple of the specials and said my prayers for all the families involved.

klahanie said...

Hi Mark,

A most thoughtful tribute and recollection. And with peaceful defiance, the Boston Marathon was a success with the best attributes of humanity.

Peace, my brother.

Gary

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for helping us to remember the victims, Mark. It is so easy to just block those sad memories out.

Unknown said...

As usual, another amazing post. I said it before, and I'll say it again...You da man! I'm sure you inspired a lot of people when you ran your marathon. Hugs. Lily-Eva

dolorah said...

Such a tragedy. I'm so glad you have been keeping the memory alive, and doing your part in supporting the survivors.

Love the shirt.

........dhole

Melissa said...

Love this post, Mark. I'm glad this year's marathon went well.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

High fives on the tribute. Glad to see the victims get the attention. Let us never glorify evil. Well done, Mark, well done.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - so pleased to read this .. and your T-shirt is lovely - no wonder the chap behind you was inspired. Thankfully all went well .. and thoughts to so many peoples in the world who are hurt, or injured through no fault of their own, except by being in that and others one wrong place ..

So pleased it was peaceful this time ... Hilary

Meradeth Houston said...

Watching clips from the race was certainly an amazing thing this year! The lady who finished on prosthetics after being injured last year totally choked me up!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;