#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Friday, September 6, 2013

I'm off to Holland - You Curious about Coffee Shops, Culture or Cheese?

Aloha,

Photos of Amsterdam - Featured Images
This photo of Amsterdam is courtesy of TripAdvisor


When "new" people hear me, they eventually always ask where I come from? (Such as the rancher from Texas, or the girl from Bahstan, who *both* said I had a "weird" accent... :)

I just smile and offer my now-traditional response: I am Irish by birth, Dutch by association - and American by choice.

While it's not true that I dropped the O' in O'Koopmans when I came through Ellis Island - especially considering the gateway to America closed in 1952:) - it is clear to the translucent amongst us that I don't have a traditional Oirish name.



Pictures of Amsterdam - Traveler Photos
This photo of Amsterdam is courtesy of TripAdvisor

My Dad was born a Dutchman and I'm heading to Holland to visit him this coming week.
While I am super-stoked be be going "home" to Holland (I lived there for two years in my late teens, early twenties) I'll have a free day or two and wondered...

What if I posted from Amsterdam?

So, that's what I'm going to do, but I'm curious... is there anything you've always wanted to know about Holland in general - or Amsterdam in particular?

Share your thoughts via comments and I will use any questions as a template for my post.

PS: I have some scheduled posts in "the bank," but I won't be online too often, so ALOHA! and see you in a couple of weeks:)


Photos of Amsterdam - Featured Images
This photo of Marken (close to) Amsterdam is courtesy of TripAdvisor

19 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I found out recently (in the blogosphere naturally) that there is a 'language' of windmills. The position of their sails at rest sends messages...
I would love to hear more about this - or any other cultural quirks.
Have fun...

Unknown said...

Once, briefly when I was in college, I passed through Holland and got to see one of those incredible, famed windmills and the tulips. Lovely lovely. Hope you have a fantastic trip.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

So, what's the fashionable trend in wooden shoes this year?

And seriously...Amsterdam is below sea water right? Does that ever worry people that they could get flooded in their sleep?

Okay, both questions may be stupid. Just take lots of pictures. And most of all...have fun and say hi to your dad for me!

The Words Crafter said...

Oh, have lots of fun! And I hope you enjoy your visit with your dad. Be safe and I'm excited to read anything you share!

Anonymous said...

Have a well deserved good time.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That sounds like a heck of an adventure!
What's something that's very different there from here?

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Have an amazing time!! I need to add Holland to my bucket list :)

Suzanne Furness said...

Hope you have a great time. I went to Amsterdam once, many years ago on a school trip! I can't really remember that much about it, except windmills and bicycles!

Cassie Mae said...

Next stop...make it Utah. Around Comic-Con. You can dress up as your Irish super hero and have a million people ask who you are :) And of course I'll be your tour guide, even though I get lost driving out of my neighborhood

klahanie said...

Hi Mark,

It seems you are getting rather close to where I live. Did you know that I live in Leek, England and that there's a Leek, Holland?

As for Amsterdam, have a wonderful time. As for me, I know all I need to know about Amsterdam, thank you very much.

In kindness,

Gary :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I had a great week in Amsterdam once... or at least I think I did, I don't remember so much of it. I do remember loving a Dutch band so much we bought the album - Racoon, have you heard of them? Have a great time.

Melissa said...

I want a picture of you in wooden shoes with your finger stuck in a dam. :D *giggle*

Enjoy your trip.

S.P. Bowers said...

Can you just pack me in your suitcase? I promise, once we get there I'll carry all your luggage and be a total slave.

Anything you can share will help my un-slaked urge to travel.

Suzi said...

Lucky you. Can't wait to hear about it. I don't know many people who've traveled to Holland. Have fun!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Oh, how fun for you. Visiting family is always special. Simply enjoy yourself Mark and relax. I'll enjoy reading about whatever adventures you have.

Is this trip with the whole family? Or just you going to visit your da?

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Carrie-Anne said...

I'd love to visit Holland, since some of my WWII historicals are set there, in whole or in part. Places I'd like to visit would be the old Jewish Quarter, the Jordaan neighbourhood, Rembrandt's house, the city of Winschoten, and any of the bicycle trails.

Johanna Garth said...

I think you should write a post about Anne Frank...that amazing writer who could have been if only...! I visited her house there once and it was so poignant.

JJ said...

I have traveled to Holland, and it is fantastic. All you need to know about Amsterdam is that it is fun, and not the drug dispensary of Europe. It is a wonderful place, full of wonderful people. Enjoy!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - enjoy these times with your father ... and just being 'home' - I'd love to see the museums in Holland the tulips of Amsterdam, but it's the wrong time of year for those ..

Well the cheese and beer sounds good - happy times for you ... cheers Hilary

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;