#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Monday, February 4, 2013

*Free* "Writers' Weekend" in Hawaii - Dec. 6-8, 2013

Aloha,

A few weeks ago, I guest-posted over at Cassie Mae’s and wrote about the Spirit of Aloha.
One of my points was I had skipped a New Year’s Resolution in favor of a New Life Resolve.

Then I had this crazy idea: How about paying it forward for my fellow writers?

Is anyone in the community interested in meeting outside of Utah J  - like say, here in Honolulu, Hawaii?

I’m not suggesting I can arrange an official Writers’ Conference, but I do have access to a block of meeting rooms, and with enough interest, the rooms could be used for round-table discussions, read-and-critique groups and even workshops – if participants volunteered to share experiences.

As I am a multi-tasker with OCD tendencies to do more than one thing at a time, (didn’t I say the same thing in three different ways?) I’m setting this up to coincide with several important dates on the Honolulu calendar.
Best of all, the entire event would be FREE – I’m thinking “mental camping” where everyone pitches in to help in non-financial ways.

Sure, you need to get to Hawaii and have a place to stay, but my goal would be for this to be a weekend to relax, rejuvenate and run.


"A race of 26.2 miles begins with a single step" - Zen (sorta)
 
Oh, I didn’t mention the running, did I?

 
The Writers’ Weekend (as I’m calling it for now) is from Friday, Dec. 6 to Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013, which coincides with the 41st Honolulu Marathon.

 

 
 
But, if a weekend amongst friendly faces and caring critiques wasn’t enough, here’s a chance to visit the USS Arizona on December 7, the “date which shall live in infamy” and if running a marathon is on your bucket list, you can join me as I run my tenth and last (official) 26.2 mile raceJ

If you can help with some logistical stuff like an official button (maybe a simple website down the road?) or are seriously interested in attending and want to lead a read-and-critique group or host a workshop, please let me know via the comments – or feel free to send me an email via mark.koopmans@yahoo.com

(I’d *heart* some promos and retweets of this post via Twitter and Facebook, too, if that wouldn’t be too much troubleJ)
I’ll have my people get in touch with your people – especially if you’re an agent or publisher and would like to be involved.

To recap, I currently have no speakers, no schedule (but think of the possibilities…) and no in-place system to make this happen, but I promise – I’ve got ten months and the will to pull this off – if you can find a way to get here!

UPDATE: (02.07.13) Starting next week, Monday's will be my regular updates on the Weekend :)
Plus.... there is this to look at while I figure out a schedule :)
 
Peace...
 
 
Relaxation...
 
And even a bit of silliness...
 
 

40 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

What a kick ass idea! I can't actually plan that far ahead, but it sounds brilliant!

Mark Koopmans said...

Cheers, Kyra:) I appreciate the positive energy.

This Writers' Weekend *could* be big - it just all depends on the "audience participation." :)

Suzi said...

I don't know, Utah vs. Hawaii. Tough choice.

I wonder if my husband will let me go to Hawaii by myself? That'd be fun, but I'm guessing I won't make it. Maybe you can get it online too for those of use who can't go. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

In other words you have no idea what you are doing! But I bet you can make it happen anyway.
And I could run 6.2 miles of that marathon.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Gorgeous photos. Just poppin in to say hi - its been a while.

Miranda Hardy said...

Oh, I wish I could go!!! Always wanted to go to Hawaii. I can't swing it this year, though.

Rena said...

I'm going to have to say that this sounds like a smashing idea.

I'm not sure I'll be able to make it (that's still during classes) but it sounds like a spectacular idea.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh how my heart loves this idea and yearns, not only for the place of respite, but for the company of other writers. However, SIGH, with a kid in college and graduating, my budget won't allow such a delight. All the best to you in this idea, Mark. I think it's marvelous!

mshatch said...

OH how I wish. Hawaii sounds like paradise about now. Now if my ship comes in between now and then...

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Great idea! If I get a passport and some extra cash this year maybe I can show up.

S.P. Bowers said...

That sounds amazing. We're starting the adoption process again so time and money are a little tied up until we find our next child but I hope it works out for everyone.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Love the peace, relaxation, and silliness :)

Johanna Garth said...

Love this idea! But if I come, does that mean I have to run a marathon?!?

Nicole said...

Sounds awesome, Mark! Now I just have to see if the calendar is free.

Chancelet said...

Sounds absolutely amazing to me, and I'd give it my all to be there! Put me on the list. With my public speaking issues, don't know if I could do a workshop, but...um...something to think about. :)

Melissa said...

First, I love your new look - blog header and head shot. Awesome! :D

Second, I doubt I could make it to Hawaii. (I'd be lucky to make it as far as Galveston.) But I'd be glad to mention it and tweet about it for you. :)

*firm nod* Have your people talk to my people. *giggle*

Carrie Butler said...

You know I have your back on the graphics part, my friend. Just give me a shout in April (after my tour madness). :)

Good luck!

Elsie Amata said...

All I can think of when I see this is "Serenity" oh and the poem Footprints, which is one of my favorites.

What a great idea - I hope you can make it all work and I look forward to watching it all come together for you! Good luck!!

Cortney Pearson said...

WOW I would love to go!!! Not sure it will happen, but I can still dream, right? What a fantastic idea!!

Tamara said...

Just coming over to say hello! This sounds like an amazing idea...one I couldn't afford in a billion years but amazing nonetheless. I'll definitely tweet about it for you! :)

Elise Fallson said...

This sounds amazing! Writing stuff and a marathon! I'd totally be in...if it wasn't for the price of tickets...I just checked...damn :(

Anonymous said...

Very cool...oh, I wish I could see into the future and make something like this happen. Two kids in college, my youngest turning 18 that week - doubtful, very doubtful. I'll be there in spirit. You can believe that. Hawaii is such a beautiful place to visit!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Wow. A writer's vacation in Hawaii (in the winter of my freezing my tush off). One I can write off on me taxes. Not a bad idea. Hmm. Must think on that one, Mark. Did I mention I'm a public speaker, but hmm, subjects...Heck, I'll just sit and enjoy the scenery and the fine company.

*walks off thinking of sand and ocean and warmth...*

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

HI Mark .. I'm sure everyone else has said 'yes' - me too .. trouble is the piggy-bank needs to get topped up!

Great idea though ... I'd love to visit the Hawaii island sometime ... and meet and greet those wonderful sons - let alone Dad and Mum and other bloggers ..

Wonderful thought!! Cheers Hilary

cleemckenzie said...

I'm sorry, but it's either Utah or Bangledesh. Hawaii is out of the question.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

You lost me at running...

Seriously, I love this idea. I've got that boy in college so I am broke problem...but I will honestly make a good faith effort at this! And if I can't, you can count on me for tweets and whatever else I can do for you!

Angela Brown said...

This is a great idea. Just retweeted :-)

Ciara said...

I'd love to go, but don't think Hawaii is in my budget. :( A few years ago I would have jumped at the chance to do the marathon, but an injury keeps me from running anymore. I expect lots of pictures posted!

Donna K. Weaver said...

I would so be in for a retreat in Honolulu, but I'll be on Kaua'i for Christmas (my daughter lives there) and hubby and I are looking to take a cruise for our anniversary next January--to Hawaii. lol

Tyrean Martinson said...

This is an awesome idea!!! Love it! I wish I could go, but I think our vacation budget is already all full up for the year . . .and there is no way my family would let me go to Hawai'i by myself.

Katie Dunn said...

All I have to do is find a rich benefactor to provide airfare and I'm in! This is such a great idea!!

PK HREZO said...

No bigger HI fan out there than me! I love this idea, but not sure if I can get out there during such a busy time. As I work for an airline, I can do a last minute visit, but if flights are full for peeps traveling to a marathon, I wont make it. Keep me posted tho!

Morgan said...

Eeeeeee!!!!! For fun-ness!!!!!

Okay, okay. I *know* Aaron would be on board. He'd want to run the marathon for sure. I'd probably have to sacrifice my LA conference, but I'd do it! Seriously. Nothing sounds more fun.

Let's make this happen!!!

Tiana Smith said...

I wouldn't be able to make it to Hawaii, but let me know if you need help with creating buttons, graphics, or anything web related (like if you wanted to make a special site for your conference). I can definitely help out with any coding or that kind of stuff. I'd love to create a Hawaii themed site (simply cuz it would mean I could look at relaxing pictures all day ... lol).

And P.S. You KNOW Utah is cool :)

Samantha May said...

This is a brilliant idea!! My exams finish up at that time too (would you believe they already have the academic schedule up through 2017...they do).

The parentals probably wouldn't want me to go alone, but maybe if I get them in on it they'll come with me :)

Very very very cool idea Mark!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I would LOVE to do this! I'll have to start saving now... And see if the hubby would be on board ... :)

Dani said...

Wow!!! I totally want to retreat to HI for a few days!!! Especially in Dec with some great blogging/writing friends!!!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Fun! Not sure it's something I could pull off to make due to some major expenses this year, but I will definitely pass it along on my Wednesday post!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Meradeth Houston said...

Oh wow, this idea is epic! I so want to be there. Will have to see if there's some way I can swing it (depends on my teaching schedule next school year!). I'd kill for some beach writing time!

Leigh Covington said...

Okay - I started on today's post and couldn't finish because apparently there are Hawaii plans on the horizon! I'm in - I'm in. I'm saving, I'm saving!!!! And I'll help however I can!

EPIC Mark! And the most brilliant idea EVER made!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;