#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Monday, September 3, 2012

14 Sundays to Honolulu (and a Writing Tip!)

Aloha,

Ten years ago I made myself a promise.

I was going to run a marathon a year for ten years starting with 2001 Honolulu Marathon.

This is the second week of a series that follows my journey that ends with the 2012 Honolulu Marathon.

I’m planning to also tie the marathons with my writing, but I can’t think of any comparisons…

(OK, I can, but I'm spreading the wealth... there’s fourteen weeks left and I’ve only done nine marathons, so I’ve got six "extra" weeks  J)

Weekly Training Status Update:
This Week’s Current Weight: 207

Last Week’s Previous Weight: 211

Existing Excuse For Weight Gain: (HA! None needed.)

Miles scheduled: 9
Miles ran: 6
Current Conclusion: I suck

How did I get started was a popular question and it’s all because I wanted to shake up my then-yucky life.

I had a friend called Dennis who died of AIDS in the late 1990’s, so when I researched the various charities who would help volunteers run, I decided to run (raise money) for a Los Angeles-based AIDS research group.

When the hundreds of us met for orientation, we were all asked to run three miles at our own pace. This I did, and found myself in a group of about twelve people from all different backgrounds and ages.

We met as strangers, but as time ran by, we became friends and all but one went on to finish the Honolulu Marathon of 2001.

Me.

As mentioned last week, I nearly popped my Achilles tendon and was forced to quit the training, but I did raise the required money for the group, so the main goal was achieved.

Oh... one other, small thing happened after I hurt myself and bailed out of the marathon, but continued running with the group. (I needed to figure out if I wanted to complete a marathon…)

One of our gang, Tracy, invited one of her friends for our Saturday group run.

This friend, Sylvia, ran with us for only three sessions. On the last Saturday, she asked if I wanted to go on a blind date with one of her friends (who liked Irish accents…)

Why not, sounds like fun, and it’s only a blind date, right?

 Sure J

The blind date in Long Beach, Calif., turned into courtship and nearly eleven years later, my wife and I are married more than eight years… and what happened to Sylvia?


Happily married herself, she was the U.S. Army doctor in charge of discharging our third son after he was born here in Honolulu.


Yo, Papa... Your head is so shiny, I need shades!




 

Next Week: Marathon #1: San Diego, 2002

16 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Well, who says blind dates can't work out? :D Great story, Mark! :D

Suzi said...

I admire people who do marathons. I can't run for more than a block at a time, so I can't even imagine anything that long. Good luck!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Small world that you would meet her again so far away!
Keep running. You can do that upcoming marathon.

M.J. Fifield said...

Six miles is awesome. I can walk/hike that distance but I certainly can't run that far. Best of luck with your training!

~Sia McKye~ said...

What a sweet story, Mark. I met my husband on a blind date (course I went with protest and provisos, lol). Our courtship, 5 months and now married over 25 years--he's a man of a million voices and corny shticks.

You can do this Mark. Just keep running...


Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Suzanne Furness said...

What a lovely story. Keep running I admire anyone who does a marathan.

Sheri L. Swift, Author said...

Beautiful! I met my husband on a blind date also! You just never know what the future holds! Thanks for stopping by my blog! ;)

Emily R. King said...

Awwww, about your blind date!

I'd say you're doing great on your goals. Great "how you got started" story!

Elise Fallson said...

What a sweet story! And no, you don't suck. Just keep running and eating healthy and you'll do great. (:

Stina said...

When I was 24, I spent a summer in a French immersion program in Quebec to learn the language (still can't speak it, btw). Each morning, I would run along a path next to the large lake. When people ask how far I ran, my lousy French had me telling them I ran around the entire lake (which I didn't).

On the last day there, I decided to give it a try. I did run the entire distance, which turned out to be close to marathon distance. Glad I didn't know that before hand. :D

Good luck with yours, Mark!!!! I admire you for it.

Nicole said...

Go you! That is quite the goal! Can't wait to follow your countdown journey to the marathon.

Lara Schiffbauer said...

Well, you ran six miles and you lost four pounds. That makes you cool in my book! :)

Meradeth Houston said...

Love this story!! Someday I'll manage a marathon--or probably more likely to die trying! (My mom's done 12 of them, so I gotta compete somehow!)

Ciara said...

Love the story. I use to run marathons, not so much any more. That is the most adorable picture. :)

Morgan said...

You. Will. Do. This.

!!!!!!

Totally impressive, Mark! Keep pushing, keep it going!

And the picture is beyond awesome! You always have such great posts! :D

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - what a great story .. well done all round - delighted to see your third son and to find out Sylvia is still around to share life with your family ..

Keep on running - no excuses .. and I can see why my post inspired you .. glad I wrote it - cheers Hilary

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;