#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Monday, June 25, 2012

"WHAT IF?" Fairy Tale Madness Blogfest :)

Aloha,

Knowing that Summer is a busy time for many folks, I wanted to give everyone a thumbs up... and a heads up!
















Right in the heart of August, I'll be hosting a "WHAT IF?" Blogfest with LeighMorgan and Cassie Mae, (my sistahs from uddah muddahs.)



The Sistahs of the Viking Bruddahood (PhotoShop Credit: Leigh:)



Introducing the...

WHAT IF? Fairytale Madness BlogFest!
(Runs August 13 - 17)          

Have you noticed that by changing one detail; one event, one character trait, one thought... you can completely alter the rest of the story?

For this bloghop we are exploring "What If...?"


Not only do we want it to be fun, but it will hopefully be a fun writing exercise and make for some great reading during the hop!

To enter:

Think of your favorite "well known" fairytale and ask "What If…!"

Then, pick one of these four categories (to be judged by):


· Best Plot Twist  (Cassie Mae)

· Best Love Story (Morgan)


· Best Tragedy (Leigh)


·         Best Comic Relief (Me)


Finally, write a scene(s) illustrating a new detail of the fabled fairy tale that changes our perspective.

For example...

Is it a plot twist? (Cinderella gets knocked up by the Carriage Driver…)

An unknown romance that comes to light? (Snow White dumps the Prince for Grumpy…)

A tragic loss occurs? (The Three Little Pigs are too late to save their house…)

A little comic relief? (Hansel and Gretel win a trip on Euro Rail, sponsored in part by M&M’s…)


Whatever the change…It's limited only by your imagination – but please keep it PG-13 J

Other Simple Rules:

·         Post your story anytime between August 13th to 17th.

·         Flash Fiction – 300 WORD MAX. (You don't have to tell the whole story in three hundred words. Pick what works to illustrate your point.)


PRIZES!

(One prize will go to the winner of judge's sponsored category. For example, Leigh's prize goes to the winner of Best Tragedy, Mark's prize goes to winner of Best Comic Relief, etc.)

Leigh is offering: Save the Cat by Blake Snyder

Morgan is offering: A FULL manuscript critique!

Cassie Mae is offering: $25 Amazon Gift Card

I'm offering a $25 Hawaiian care package (incl. $5 USPS Priority Shipping) Winner chooses items such as candy, trinkets, Kona Coffee, etc. (I'll get with my winner to make sure he/she gets what they want :)

Joining the fun is easy... all you need to do is add your name to the Linky List below :)

PS: Please feel free to grab a button to help promote the WHAT IF? Blogfest - we'd love and appreciate the support - and can't wait to read the entries :)



31 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

This is an excellent idea for a fest, but I am still undecided about my skills of twisting a fairytale!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fun idea! Will plug it for you guys on Wednesday.

Miranda Hardy said...

How could I possibly resist. Glad I stopped by on my break.

Bonnee Crawford said...

You give the example of Cinderella getting knocked up by the carriage driver and then you tell us to keep it PG. Nice :) Lol! Awesome bloghop idea Mark and Co.

Melissa said...

Ah, yes. The domino effect. It totally stokes you when plotting, and totally crushes you when editing. LOL But seriously, this is a great idea for a hop. I'll pass it on... :)

Cassie Mae said...

I'm seriously framing that picture :)

Emily R. King said...

Mark, you never cease to entertain. Your photoshop job was WAY better than mine, too. LOL!
I've signed up!

Morgan said...

Eeeeeee!!!! That picture seriously STILL makes me laugh... and I'm SO STOKED for this blogfest! I can't wait to read the entries! :D

Johanna Garth said...

I LOVE this blogfest idea! Can't wait to read all the great twists and turns.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Awesome idea. Snow White dumps the Prince for Grumpy. LOL I just may sign up!

S.P. Bowers said...

This sounds pretty amazing. I'm going to have to start planning....

David P. King said...

Genius! Time to brainstorm something awesome! :)

Nicole said...

What a fun blogfest!! I'm off to mutate some fairytales. ;)

Mark Koopmans said...

@ All: Wow, seriously excited to see/read the support for our What if? Blogfest - Thanks, y'all:)

@ Emily: I wish I had the tech skills to do that picture, but the PhotoShop talents are *all* Leigh Covingtons :)

cleemckenzie said...

I so want to do this, but I'm buried in that launch thing. But let me see if I can possibly pull this off. I'll be back. Why does everything great have to happen in August? :-)

Leigh Covington said...

HOLLA! I'm SO EXCITED! *squee*!!! This is going to be fun Mark! Glad you're in on the madness!

Nancy Thompson said...

This sounds like fun, and I love me a good blogfest, but to be honest, I don't think I'm smart enough to do this one. Can't wait to read what those who are come up with though.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I'm totally signed up! Lovin' that picture...can I have you photo shopped into our family pic, just for fun?

Julie Dao said...

Aloha right back at ya! This sounds like a great blogfest, Mark. Thanks for reading my interview with Nick and telling me about this!

Meradeth Houston said...

Awesome fun times!! Hmm, I'm going to have to think about what to do--only 300 words? That's going to be tricky!

Ciara said...

Sounds like a great blog hop. I happened upon your blog, and now I'm a new follower. Nice to meet you. I also am a stay-at-home parent of three boys. :)

Sabrina A. Fish said...

This is a seriously fabulous blogfest idea! I have signed up via Morgan's page and have my fairy tale all picked out! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with in August!

Nick Wilford said...

Looking forward to this tons, though I'm glad I have a bit of time to fine tune my entry!

Melanie said...

That sounds like fun, but not something I'd be able to participate in this time...unless life settles and I have a wee bit of time on my hands.

Empty Nest Insider said...

This sounds like such a fun bloghop, but it comes at a hectic time when both my boys are going back to college and law school. I can't wait to read what everyone else is writing about! Julie

nutschell said...

Awesome idea! I love the what if concept and I can't wait to read what all fellow writers come up with :)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Kelly Polark said...

These will be fun to read. I love twisted fairytales! Great idea!!

Anonymous said...

Cool blogfest idea. I've put it on my reminders list, so hopefully I don't forget.


I'm looking for some ninja writers to interview for my Ninja spotlight series. If you're interested, go to http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/im-looking-for-a-few-good-ninjas/ to find out more!

Carrie Butler said...

I love the doctored photo! You guys are too fun. :D

JennaQuentin said...

Great idea! I can't wait - now off to get some inspiration...

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I LOVE this! What a great idea!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;