#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Thursday, April 16, 2015

"N" is for "Next" Moves

Ladies and GentleNinjas, we are now past the midpoint of the A-Z Challenge!


 
My theme revolves around the soon-to-be published memoir I wrote for opera singer, Donald Braswell.

"N" is for "Next" Moves
 
Donald, currently a car salesman, has met Walter - and just made The Phone Call.
 
###
“Studio M. This is Marius. Can I help?”

“Hi. My name is Donald Braswell,” I said with more confidence in my voice than my heart. “I was a singer and well, Walter told me to call and ask for Michael…?”

“Walter? Walter Lucas?”

I nod in surprise.

Are you still there? Hello? Anyone there?”

 Yes, yes, I’m here, sorry!”

“Are you the car salesman who used to be an opera singer? Walter’s been talking about you to Michael, my boss, who owns the recording studio. Walter said you’d be calling to make an CD.”

“Yes, that’s me, and yes, I’m interested in recording a CD, but I’ve no idea about the logistics. Is it possible to make a reservation or appointment, and get some more details from Michael, or you?”

“Of course. We’ve been expecting your call all week.”

Marius sets me up with a time and requests I bring any old recordings. The address looked familiar when I initially wrote it down, but as I pull in to the parking lot of Studio M a few days later, I can’t believe where I am.

Studio M was so close to my house and church that it was literally next door to my landlord’s office. On many a rent day, I’d parked in Studio M’s lot because my landlord only has a few parking spots. Apart from a big “M” on a red awning above the door, there’s no other identifying signage on the exterior of the small-business sized building. I’ve driven past the recording studio hundreds of times and had no clue.

“I guess God does works in mysterious ways,” I said, shaking my head as I walked toward the front door.

###
 
Donald went on to discuss work on a CD, but was initially shocked at the cost involved - $50,000 to $250,000 (plus marketing expenses) for a professional, studio-made CD.
 
He was then advised by officials over at Studio M to contact friends and family. Perhaps, they said, someone would be willing to make an investment?
 
###
 Tomorrow: "O" is for "Overwhelmed."

 

13 comments:

quietspirit said...

Mark: This gets more interesting as you tell the story. About the location of that studio,God does have a sense of humor,

Elephant's Child said...

Loving this. And my greedy self is getting impatient for more.

Empty Nest Insider said...

Though I'm late to the party, I'm already intrigued! Excellent writing, Mark!

Julie

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - Donald does have an amazing story to tell .. and you're doing it so well for us here at the A-Z .. this is an incredible turn of events ... and I think I can see where the O for overwhelmed is leading us .. cheers Hilary

Mark Means said...

That's steep to make a CD! Sounds like Donald had a pretty interesting story.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It was right there, just waiting for him.
That's a huge investment for a CD.

Lisa said...

Wow, they don't cost that much nowadays, thank goodness! That must have felt like a steep hurtle to jump... Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Unknown said...

Is it a scam or is that really how much it costs?

Jo said...

I had no idea that making CDs was anything like that expensive. How impossible for a car salesman. I don't know anyone with that kind of money. Did Donald?

Tamara Narayan said...

Whoa, that is some serious dough. I'm so glad querying is free.

David P. King said...

What a cool call to get! But gosh, what an investment that is. Not sure if I would be willing to go through with that. :)

Anonymous said...

That's crazy!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm overwhelmed at the cost of making a CD. Wow.

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;