#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"DINYB" BlogFest & a Sweet Award :)

Aloha,

 
Hosted by the fabulous Ciara Knight and that guy I call "No-need-to-hyperlink Alex," I’m participating in the Did I Notice Your Book BlogFest today.


The idea is to post about a book you’ve noticed.

The book I noticed (and really enjoyed reading) is Oppression by Jessica Therrien.

 

Here’s a synopsis taken from Jessica’s blog:

Elyse knows what it means to keep a secret. She's been keeping secrets her whole life. Two, actually. First, that she ages five times slower than the average person, so that while she looks eighteen years old, she's closer to eighty. Second, that her blood has a mysterious power to heal.

For Elyse, these things don't make her special. They make life dangerous. After the death of her parents, she's been careful to keep her secret as closely guarded as possible. Now, only one other person in the world knows about her age and ability.

Or so she thinks.

Elyse is not the only one keeping secrets. There are others like her all over the world, descendants of the very people the Greeks considered gods. She is one of them, and they have been waiting for her.

Among so many of her kind, she should not be very remarkable--except for the prophecy. Some believe she will put an end to centuries of traditions, safeguarded by violence, which have oppressed her people for centuries. Others are determined to keep her from doing just that. But for Elyse, the game is just beginning--and she's not entirely willing to play by their rules.


YA paranormal romance/adventure is generally not my reading genre, but I loved this book and can’t wait until part two of the Children of the Gods series comes out this FebruaryJ
You can find Jessica’s Goodreads info here or more info on Oppression here.

###
Livia, over at Leave it to Livia, dropped the Super Sweet Blogger Award in my lap the other day, which was a big surprise, as I’m not what one would call a sweet person.

 I’m more into spicy, eye-watering hot foods than sugary deserts and when it comes to eating out, “My eyes are way too big for mah belly,” he said in a Scottish accent.
However, as there are no “I. Need. More. Rolaids. Stat.” or “Help! My Eyes Are Bleeding” awards being handed out, I am honored to accept, but must apologize for the boring answers:

1. Cookies or cake?
Neither. My Mama says I’m sweet enough.

2. Chocolate or vanilla?
Neither, but if I was being tortured, I’d smear chocolate to numb my fingernail-less nails.

3. What is your favorite sweet treat?
Tiramisu. It’s my only dessert of choice, unless you count a *good* Irish coffee, but none of that green stuff on top, please!

4. When do you crave sweet things most?
Evenings, if you must know. One piece of dark chocolate with a glass of red wine tends to keep the doctor away.

5. If you had a sweet nickname what would it be?
“Bah humbug.” That's a sweet right? :)

###

I'm passing this on to the following three people, in the hope their answers are more substantial than mine J
Kirsten over at A Scenic Route
Tammy over at Tammy Theriault
Suzi over at Literary Engineer

 Have fun everyone, and for all you published peeps, I hope many people notice your book today - and tomorrow, and the next day, and the next, and th-[WARNING! INK CARTRIDGE DEPLETED]

 

49 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Lol @ Bah humbug!

I have had Oppression on my reading list forever, I need to get round to reading it soon!

Ciara said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that cover. Oh, I'd check this book out, too. Great choice.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Jessica will be so happy! Thanks for participating in our blogfest.
Bah Humbug is as sweet as Stud Muffin. Well, it's close.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I had not heard of Opression, so thanks for highlighting the book! I am interested in the slower aging process. I have something similar in my most recent manuscript, but it's caused by skipping time rather than slowness of aging. I find the whole concept interesting -- how a lifespan can be expanded and how that would impact the person.

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding me about this book, I have been meaning to read this! Love that cover :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I don't know how dangerous I would be but aging slower appeals to me at this point in my life.

J.L. Campbell said...

Interesting cover. Congrats on the award.

Unknown said...

lol Your mum thinks you're sweet enough ! I love the sound of the book you chose - she's 80 but looks 18?

Elise Fallson said...

I've had Jessica's book on my tbr list for a while, need to get to that... And Irish coffee - nuff said.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I really enjoyed this book. Jessica did a great job.

Tara Tyler said...

such a sweet goof!
and jessica's books are all wonderful!

Suzi said...

Even though it's eight in the morning, I sooo want to eat those cupcakes. And I would if I had them since my kids have gone to school.

So, do stay-at-home dads sit home all day and eat bon bons like us stay-at-home moms?

Thanks for the award!!

Amy Jarecki said...

Oppression sounds AWESOME! I'm finding so many cool books!!

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

What an absolutely fascinating book!

Thanks for sharing the nice review, Mark!

I'm not part of the Blogfest but wanted to stop by.

Monti
Mary Montague Sikes

Misha Gerrick said...

Oppression sounds awesome!

Libby said...

I like the idea of being descended from Greek Gods. Very neat.

Sherry Ellis said...

That sounds like a really cool book. I wish I would age slowly so I would look like eighteen when I'm eighty! LOL!

Marta Szemik said...

Definitely adding this one to my TBR!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Bah humbug? That's cute.

Opression sounds really good. The blurb is just chilling . . .

Unknown said...

One thing I know after visiting a few DINYB posts: There's a lot of competition in the cover-design world. So many outrageously gorgeous ones (this one was no different). Sounds like a good read, too.

David P. King said...

Congrats on the award. Loved your answers, dude. And blast it, I reviewed a book today. I could have joined in on this blogfest. Oh well, maybe next time. :)

cleemckenzie said...

All this AND cupcakes too? How do you do it Mark? Lovely book to notice.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Great pick on the book. But no sweets? Well, you're definitely not a chick...good thing that hair do you sport would make a girl cry.

LynNerdKelley said...

Oppression sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing your pick!

Jeff Beesler said...

Wow. Nice to see the power of sweets has no effect on some people in this day and age? Me? I'm hopelessly addicted to the chocolate.

Nancy Thompson said...

I have Jessica's Oppression! Good read! And you don't like sweets? You must a load of fun on a dinner date. JK! I hope you still buy your wife a big dessert when you take her out.

Morgan said...

Boring answers???

*shakes head*

Too funny. :)

Johanna Garth said...

Oppression sounds like it's right up my alley.

I'm with you, not much of a sweet tooth, but salty treats...let's just say I almost never buy them or else I'd be caught devouring them by the bagful.

Rusty Carl said...

Interesting book you've chosen. And Alex 'no link needed' is a great moniker for him. I hope he starts using it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark .. Oppression sounds fascinating - fancy being 80 yet looking 18 ---- no thank you .. well perhaps yes! Age is creeping up ... but no with all the strings attached in this story ...

Cheers Hilary

Suzanne Furness said...

I bet the face cream manufacturers would like to get their hands on those secrets! 80 and look 18 wow. Sounds like a fab read.

How can you not crave chocolate? lol

Christine Rains said...

Great pick for the blogfest! And, mmm, now I need a treat.

Ink in the Book said...

This sounds like a good book!
Thanks for sharing:)
The cover is very interesting!

Nice to meet you, and I'm your newest follower waving hi:)

Livia Peterson said...

Gorgeous book cover! Just making my rounds for this blogfest...it seems like Alex and Ciara hit off with a bang and a half!

You'll always be sweet in my eyes because you make me laugh! :)

Cynthia said...

Looks like an interesting book- it just go to show that sometimes "gifts" come with burdens too.

I love tiramisu- I just had some over the weekend.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Oppression is a definte must read. Congrats on your new blog award and best of luck with your author finding this post. Have my fingers crossed for mine.

M Pax said...

Great choice. Bah Humbug is very sweet. :)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I've seen this cover many times. Good choice.

Susan Oloier said...

I so need to read Jessica's book. I've been meaning to for awhile.

Golden Eagle said...

"No-need-to-hyperlink Alex"

Ha! Sometimes I wonder if I really need to add a link to his blog in my posts, too. LOL.

I've been noticing Oppression in the blogosphere--the blurb is intriguing.

Brinda said...

Jessica's book is great!

Kirsten said...

I came by for a cupcake and got a great reading recommendation to top it off! Such a sweet deal.

Thank you so much for the award! I'll be sure to come up with some mouthwatering answers for you.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Congratulations on the award! I can't imagine anyone calling you Bah humbug! :)

Carrie Butler said...

I love that book! Good choice, Mr. Humbug. :)

Congratulations on your award!

Tammy Theriault said...

wow, thanks for the award! you can be sweet without the chocolate on your fingers...while waiting for a bus.

Jessica Therrien said...

Mark! You're amazingly awesome :) Thank you for posting about my book!! YAY! I feel so special! Congrats on your award. Dark chocolate and red wine sounds pretty sweet to me.

Samantha May said...

Oppression was awesome! I'm really excited for the next book too!

Chocolate on your fingernails...what? Haha :D

Melissa said...

Dessert wine and chocolate. Mmmmmmmm

I'll trade you some jalapenos for that. :)

Nicole said...

Mmm, good answers!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;