#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Wednesday, May 2, 2012

IWSG: Should I Have Done A-Z?

Aloha,

I’m not sure. I think it’s time for my monthly installment re. Insecure Writers Support Group.
(PS. All pictures are random. I only worry that I made the right decision to add them?)


This may sound weird, but I’m sad and glad I didn’t do A-Z.

April was a bloody interesting month – to say the least – but I would’ve ripped the remaining seven strands of hair from my shiny bald head if I’d tried to get those twenty-six posts in on time.

Do you think I caught the cup in time?         Nope.
Seriously.

(Stops to tip Angels ball cap for everyone who did make it from Alpha to Zombie…. Well done youez. J

However, by not doing A-Z, did I miss out?

I’m think I did.





No, I know I did, but bailing at the last moment was the right thing for me to do – even though I had my theme set up and my posts ready to drop.

Dude, just save them for next year…

Yes, but what happens if I get knocked down and impaled by a flying surfboard jetting off the slick top of a ’66 Beetle?

Huh?

Well, it could happen…

Hang on… Checks calendar… Ohhhh I get it, it’s IWSG post, right?

Yes, and I think I’ve missed out on a great opportunity to build the base.

“Build the base?” What are you – a military architect?

No, don’t be such a Lardhead, but look, I’ve missed out on meeting dozens of new peeps and perhaps gaining an extra follower or five.

How many do you have now?

228 (oh, make that 229…thanks Jessica at Breathings   J

How many did you have in early February, when you posted about reaching 100 followers?

Er, I’m not sure, let me check…. (Keyboard clatters… elbow hits drink… which spills on table…

This leads to emissions of “cluck me!” and “mother rooster!” and other, terribly fowl language from the mouth that is in serious need of a large bar of soap…


No. 1 Son (age 4) had to tell me the secret? Can you guess?
Returns.

I have no idea? Seventy-two? Eighty-six?

(Sounds of near crying… as much as a mental voice can nearly cry.)

 How about 100...

Ohhhh, right.



So you had 100 in early February; you’re at about 230 now, and you’ve passed 11,000 views, so things can’t be that bad. Right?

My Gosh! You’re right, old man!

Plus, you’ve a great core group of awesome readers who understand that you talk to yourself...

And answer – don’t forget that!

...OK, and answer, because you’re at home with three kids under five for much of the day.

Right! (OH! Has anyone seen the latest Wiggles episode… it’s awesome! Jeff falls asleep… again :)

So why are you worried this month?

I don’t know – was I worried? Oh yes, not doing A-Z.

Well, like I said, some of your April posts were very well received – so perhaps you weren’t meant to do A-Z this year… what do you think about those bananas?

Rigght… but I wasn’t thinking about bananas…?

It’s just a saying. (Deep mental breath…) You know I’m trapped inside your head, but you could focus a little more. Maybe you can do A-Z next year…


The fish was *this* big. But was it even a fish?
I can? Won’t the people in charge of the Blogisfear kick me out ‘cos I wasted so much ink?


No, they won’t. I promise. And sure, WIP should be done and it’ll be a treat to plan your daily posts.

Thanks, I don’t feel insecure anymore. How long will this last?

About thirty days.

Whoot! Whoot!




Glad I could help you remove and replace this month’s mental issues… but I have one question…

Shoot.

Does that make me an insecurities trader?
                                       
                                                                         ###

32 comments:

Kirsten said...

I have mixed feelings about the 'blogisfear' (thank you for that :) ) myself, so thanks for straightening that out!
Congrats on the followers though!
Hilarious post.

Elise Fallson said...

OMG you talk to yourself AND answer back too? So do I! (: I did A-Z for the first time and it was exhausting (I had nothing pre-written) but it was such a great experience that I'll be back next year, except I'm going to start writing my posts now!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Funny internal dialogue, very similar to my own inner rantings. Look at it this way, you have a really good head start for next year. Plus, you can build more followers, community, etc, with days like the IWSG and other fests. You need those last seven hairs!

Play off the Page

Peggy Eddleman said...

I totally get where you are coming from! I did it, and the whole time I've been unsure whether it was the right choice. The first 19 posts were during the last 21 days of my first round edits. That was painful! But, in the end, I would've felt like I was missing out if I hadn't done it, so I'm glad I did. Next year, though.... :)

Stina said...

I didn't participate and I'm glad I didn't, even if my blog reads was down. I had one comment near the beginning that thanked me for not participating. She was sick of the challenge and it had just started. :)

Miranda Hardy said...

Do you have conversations with yourself often? Lol

No worries, there's always next year. I completed the challenge, but I didn't get to everyone's blog. Ugh.

Dani said...

Ok so now I need to gain my composure after being your inner voice and your regular one. What a mind trip.

But seriously, you have next year or maybe not even at all. You are loved by your readers and have some great ones.

Keep postin' what you know best.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I didn't do it either. Not that I don't respect it...I do...I think it would have done my blog wonders.

But I was in round one of edits of my first book. If I failed those, I would have missed the big picture.

I think you did the right thing...you want to write a novel and not raise feral children. Only so many hours in a day young bald man...use them wisely!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hilarious!
I'll not lie and say those who didn't participate did not miss an opportunity. However, if you accomplished something while not participating, then that is equally important.
Save those posts for next year.
And keep up the snark!

Morgan said...

You better not get impaled by a flying surfboard that jets off the top of a '66 Beetle!!!!

And how do you know military architect lingo?

And Hahahaha!!!!! to the Wiggles episode! That silly Jeff... falling asleep AGAIN... *shakes head* Steve on Blues Clues only did that ONCE. ;)

I'm always so sad when your posts end... they're SO FUNNY! And the "Big Fish" picture is too precious for words!

Rek Sesh said...

Oh, you can participate in a-z and accomplish nothing...trust me, thank heavens I went in only with my photo blog posts. I did enjoy the posting part and the 'regular group's visit reciprocation' part but won't do it if am still around next year.
You IWSG crib is in my humble opinion an irrelevant, unimportant insecurity. :P (don't take it to be mean, it's supposed be consoling).
Your younger son (presuming he is) in the last picture stole my heart. Give him a hug on my behalf. :)

Katie Dunn said...

This so made my morning! Blogisfear? Perfect name, lol!

M.J. Fifield said...

If the blogisfear hasn't kicked me out yet, I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Love that last picture.

Hope Roberson said...

Oh so funny :) Glad to see I'm not the only one who can ride a tangent! Great pics and hanging on to sanity while spending all day with little ones in the house is an amazing accomplishment! Mine are in school all day now and I think, bit by bit, some of my sanity might be returning... maybe :)

Johanna Garth said...

I had all the same questions but in the end I was glad I opted out because I finished an edit of a book that is due to my publisher.

Lara Schiffbauer said...

Leave us not worry, nor look back!

While I wasn't at all as prepared as you were to participate, I did want to, and dropped out before I signed up. Over the course of the month, I bacame happier and happier that I didn't participate. I probably won't next year, either. (If you want to have a conversation on why, give me an e-mail.)

Here's the rub on why I don't think you should worry. You have a fun blog, that has heart and people are drawn to you and to it. Don't worry about missed opportunities for platform building, because there will be another... and another... and another! :)

And you really are doing phenomenal with growing your blog!

Tara Tyler said...

you're such a goof!
you are fine. no sense worrying about it now!
just keep being funny & entertaining & they will come!

cleemckenzie said...

It so hard to decide where to spend your time these days. I never know what to choose because no matter what I'll miss something exciting or important.

Cynthia said...

Mark, thanks for visiting my blog today, and for your kind comments.

During A to Z, I still followed the blogs of people not participating in A to Z. So I don't believe non-participants would lose any readers. And I totally understand that writers have lives and responsibilities outside their blog and so I don't think being in the challenge is a requirement of any sort. It was just something to do for fun.

There will be other blogger events... =)

Nancy Thompson said...

I'm torn on the A to Z. On one hand, I loved participating 'cause I got to meet some new folks, and I always love a party. On the other hand, it was a lot of work, and, to be honest, the pay off, as far as followers go, was not that great, at least not for me, not when I consider how many blogs I visited and followed. My return on the time and effort was minimal, at best. Now for the big question: Will I do it again? I'm on the fence on that one. Considering what you have to fill your days, Mark, I can't imagine having to stay up late trying to slog through all those blogs. I think you probably made the right choice. But I did miss you when I discovered you weren't participating.

Mina Burrows said...

A-Z was intense, but great. We missed you but don't worry, we'll do it again next year. :)

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I think you made the right decision. I made mental notes on what to mention in a reflection post. I'm surprised I'm still standing. I will be catching up for a while.

dolorah said...

*shakes head* I think I need more wine for this :)

I took a blogger break and missed a lot. But, I there will be other posts for you to discuss with yourself. Congrats on achieving so many followers in such a short time. Cherish those too.

.........dhole

momto8blog said...

sometimes I talk to myself too...no I don't! yes, I do!

Bonnee Crawford said...

It's okay, I didn't do it either. I hardly even read anyone else's posts about it. I'm thinking of doing it next year too. And talking to yourself is nothing to be ashamed of. All good writers do it.

Meradeth Houston said...

I've wondered the same thing about doing the April challenge, but there was just no way I could have done it this year. Maybe, if some miracle happens, next year. (And, I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of glad it's over. My blog reader was about to explode!)

Cassie Mae said...

this is the part when I come up with something encouraging, but my brain lost it's function around letter R.

How about, don't worry about the numbers. It's all about the connections with people. I don't think I gained a lot of followers, but I did gain a lot of friendships with followers I already had. And that's totally more important to me. :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I kind of liked the structure that AtoZ left me with. It was easy coming up with posts (in other words).

Jessica L. Celaya said...

I love the random pictures and thanks for the shout out!

Nicole said...

Oh Mark, you made me laugh. I'm pretty sure all of us who DID do the A-Z also had a little bit of the same should we/shouldn't we anxiety - even in the middle of it. :)

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

“cluck me!” and “mother rooster!” and other, terribly fowl language...

Oh, my lord I spit coffee out while reading this line. You're too clever for me. LOL.

Unknown said...

Wait, you have a whole 7 hairs left on your head?! Hehe ;-) Okay, no, that's not the only thing I took away from this (highly entertaining) post :-)
I found myself quite stressed out trying to get a post up every day, so maybe you took the right route not getting involved in the challenge!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;